Course date: TBD
Duration: 2 days
The main purpose of the course is to help superintendents efficiently achieve compliance with latest requirements related to class, flag state & port state and to work most efficiently with class.
Upon completion of this course, the participants will have refreshed their understanding of the interrelations between the various stakeholders in shipping and key role played by the class society in helping them to fulfill their role as a superintendent.
Experience in shipping and with maritime regulations prior to the course as many issues must be seen as clarifications, refreshers and updates
Who should attend:
Personnel involved in ship management, and in particular ship owners' superintendents
Superintendents play a critical role in ship management. Ships are increasingly sophisticated assets and their operation is a complex business.
To secure safe and efficient operations and achieve economic success, shipping companies rely on superintendents. A superintendent's ability to identify hazards, analyze risks, identify and evaluate options and take action, determines the flow of the shipping process.
The course touches in all the main topics where the superintendent needs to be in control, from classification and statutory matters, to hull and machinery, and not forgetting the all important management systems.
The DNV GL tools, apps and other services are mentioned where appropriate to provide a full overview of how DNV GL strives to support you in every way we can.
The course focuses on:
- Class concept and class systematics
- Statutory regulations, ships in operation rules
- Machinery surveys (systematics, postponements, survey arrangements, machinery damage vs class)
- Ballast Water Management Convention - latest requirements and technologies
- Hull: Strength and simple beam theory
- Management systems: ISM, ISPS, MLC, quality assurance in shipping
- Port State Control
- Hull inspections
- MARPOL & environmental update
- SOLAS: Overview and updates on latest developments
- DNV GL tools and facilitation services