Arctic shipping risk assessment and winterisation
Craig A. Koehne
Business Development Manager
Explore our advisory services networkGo to network
With a focus on both ships and offshore units, we at DNV GL support you in ensuring smooth and safe operations in cold climates.
The challenges experienced during cold climate operations contribute to increased risk. The consequences of an incident or breakdown are far more severe. Icing and wind can likewise cause serious damage to your asset.
Our experts have spent actual periods of time in the Arctic to gain the experience and knowledge needed to provide competent support. They facilitate and provide HAZID and risk analyses related to arctic operations, which is then supported by:
- GAP analysis, with advisory in line with DNV GL, IMO, ISO and IACS rules and regulations
- Technology qualification for a new or unknown technology in cold-climate operation
- Safety culture management related to human performance and behaviour under arctic conditions
We can also identify the additional risk for the crew, vessel or MOU caused by icing, freezing, snow, wind chill and more and we provide support for how to comply with the compliance with the DNV GL Winterised Notation, ice class and international regulations.
Our experts are also highly involved in research and development related to ice load monitoring, in ice management and in taking field measurements for ensuring accurate information.
We will not leave you out in the cold when it comes to smooth and safe arctic operations:
- Winterise your ship or MOU by ensuring your equipment continues to perform in cold climates
- Benefit from our real-life experience from living in the Arctic, providing accurate information and know-how
- Gain support from arctic training and awareness workshops for your crew
- Profit from input for building specifications to help ensure your ship or MOU can perform to its best in cold climates
- Get practical recommendations on reducing risks from low temperatures and icing