Ship shaft alignment and operation services
Regional Director of Decarbonization, Maritime Americas
Explore our advisory services networkGo to network
DNV GL experts perform root cause analysis for ship and MOU shaft alignment and aid owners/yards in obtaining safe, compliant shaft alignment.
An inadequate alignment of the propeller shaft often results in the late delivery of newbuilds, and costly off-hire due to damage or failure of the stern tube bearing for ships in operation.
DNV GL is your active partner for obtaining a precise shaft alignment, ensuring safe and reliable operation. We have experience from several design and troubleshooting projects studying the interaction between the shaft line and bearings, propeller loads and hull deflections. Combined with our in-house multidisciplinary technical knowledge, the investigation of your problems are more effective – shortening repair time and helping to keep your operations running.
Our experts assist during the design and installation phases to prevent operational challenges related to shaft alignment. Careful consideration is given to the effects of the trend with increased engine size and shorter propulsion shafts for better payload utilization.
Moreover, we are familiar with new environmental measures such as lower shaft speeds in combination with heavier propellers, de-rated propulsion and the switch to environmentally acceptable lubricating oils (EALs). We are aware of how these measures can contribute to causing alignment issues, and how to avoid these problems.
Services for ships in operation experiencing shaft alignment issues:
- Troubleshooting to find the damage’s root cause and the solutions that make the propulsion system operational again
- Measurement verification of a designed alignment
- Advice for an improved alignment of the shaft line
- On-site assistance during the repair and replacement process
Shaft alignment services for newbuildings and conversion projects:
- Calculation of a optimal shaft alignment
- Verification of designed alignment during and after the newbuilding, or conversion process, and on-site assistance
- Shaft dynamics, and propeller load analyses
Rely on DNV GL for all your shaft alignment matters:
- Avoid delays in delivery, thereby reducing costly off-hire
- Profit from effective investigation of problems, which shortens repair time
- Gain confidence and peace of mind thanks to expert assistance in shaft design